This summer I spent time working on a pre-thesis project of data materialization and the Northern Lights.  I constructed a wall-mounted loom on which I wove fibre optics and fishing line.  The LEDs were programmed with simulated data of auroral activity over northern Canada.  It was intended to be a real-time data stream, but I ran into some stumbling blocks in extracting the data from U of Alberta’s Dept. of Physics.  This is where I will pick up for the next iteration of this project.  In the mean time, a prototype for something much larger (and consequently, much more expensive):
Sept 12/12 update: If you’re interested to see where this project led me, please see my thesis project, a knit fibre optic canoe.

Wave form

Detail

Installation in progress

Advertisements